There’s no way to soften the blow – working out after the holidays is hard. Getting back in the normal routine of setting your alarm, logging into work, and doing regularly scheduled chores is difficult enough after abbreviated workweeks or full weeks off for the holidays – add working out to this, and well, you have quite a challenge on your hands.
So, how do you hop back on the proverbial horse? According to experts, it has a lot to do with setting realistic expectations and being kind to yourself. As tempting as it might be to dive back in as fast as possible, the best thing you can do for your body – and your mental health – is ease back into your routine slowly and consciously. Here are 5 tips to keep in mind when you’re getting back into your normal workout routine after the holidays!
1. Go in with a patient mindset. Be realistic about what you can consistently accomplish, week after week, in order to make working out a habit again. Set initial goals that are small and manageable. This way, you’ll stay motivated and feel a sense of accomplishment off-the-bat.
2. Ease up on workout intensity and frequency. Expecting to bounce right back after a long break isn't fair to your body. If you don't “use it" — your lung capacity for cardio and/or your muscular strength for weightlifting — you do “lose it,” or at least a bit of it, temporarily.
3. Get friends and family involved. Don't have a workout buddy? The new year might be the ideal time to secure one, with everyone is considering a change in their lifestyle habits. Telling others about your intentions offers more accountability and creates a solid buddy system, too!
4. Prioritize sleep, hydration, and nutrition. Take care of your body outside the gym by getting enough sleep, hydrating, and fueling up with nutritious foods. No matter how hard you work in the gym, none of it matters if you aren't feeding and taking care of your body!
5. Taking breaks is necessary for the grand scheme of things. There's no need to feel guilty about taking some time off. Look at your holiday break as an opportunity to let your body rest and enjoy the spirit of the season. A break is never a bad thing, even when it comes to fitness!
Westmount at London Park Apartments in Houston, Texas goes out of its way to ensure that you live the lifestyle you have always desired and deserved. These helpful tips go beyond the scope of services we offer in our community, in order to provide you with a more efficient routine.